Sunday, November 18, 2012

Touring the south Kona coast

This morning I started out with a breakfast of half a papaya filled with yogurt and granola at this place just up the road that I think is called Java on the Rocks.  I'll have to check tomorrow as I'm sure I will end up at the same place.  It's a restaurant normally, but in the morning there is a little stand inside and you can get bagels, omelets, fruit plates and my papaya nest.  It was really delicious! 

Today's driving tour took me south on Hwy 11 to some historical sites.  There was some sort of mini Ironman thing going on so roads were closed and traffic had to stop to wait for the bikers to go through.  I don't know how those people did it as they had to bike up this giant hill and then go who knows where.  Once there was a big enough gap, I finally got to continue on my way.  First stop was at Greenwell Farms.  This is one of many coffee farms.  They have a tour you can take, but I did not and the lady didn't offer.  I don't like coffee, but I got some for relatives that do!  I'm sure I'll be stopping at other coffee farms on my north drive so I will do a tour then.

The next stop was Kealakekua Bay State Historical Park.  This is found by taking yet another narrow winding road down the hill.  I really don't like these kinds of drives and yet I have been doing lots of them this trip.  The park is where you can access the Captain Cook Monument, but the only way to get there is by water.  So I did not go.  There was a gathering of locals at the entrance to the parking lot who were trying to get you to rent their snorkeling gear and one followed me when I got out of the car to look at the information signs.  I was glad to leave. 

Next was Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park.  This place was really nice.  The entrance fee is $5 and is good for 7 days.  There is a self-guided walking tour of the grounds, which are beautifully kept.  I have the brochure in the car so I can't remember everything, but it is a sacred spot and was a place of refuge for early Hawaiians.  If you did something bad or were at war or anything, you could go to this site and no one could hurt you while there.  There are reconstructions of temples and remains of the original buildings.  It is a really well done park.  There is also a 2 mile loop trail that goes to some other historical sites, the remains of a village and past some lava tubes.  I did part of the trail.  I decided to cut off at the path that went towards the coast rather than continue to the village because I was too hot.  But I'm sure the remaining sites would have been nice!

I stopped at the South Kona farm market on my way back north.  A lady was selling some jellies and fruit butter so I bought a small jar of jelly.  They are all made from these tropical fruits that we don't get back home, or don't eat as often as things like bananas.  I had some delicious fish 'n chips for lunch at some roadside cafe.  It claims to have the best around and it certainly was good.

Stopped back at the hotel to grab my towel and a book and then went to La'aloa Beach.  This is a sandy beach a little ways down Ali'i Drive from my hotel.  The kids were all in the water with their body boards and it was fun to watch them.  Even the little tiny ones, who looked like they should have a parent standing right next to them, were getting pushed around by the waves.  I guess these kids grow up in the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment