Thursday, November 22, 2012

Royal Kona Resort/Kailua-Kona Wrap-up



I don’t think I’ve ever stayed at a resort before and pictured one as being a place with everything you could want at your fingertips.  The Royal Kona is perched right on the coast at the south end of Ali’i Drive and is within walking distance to any stores or restaurants you could want.  You can walk to the pier to catch the snorkeling tours or bus tours.  The resort has tennis courts, a fitness center, spa, Don’s Mai Tai Bar and Don’s Restaurant.  There is a luau on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday nights.  They have their own private salt water lagoon and a regular pool.  Parking costs $10 per day and they also charge for internet.  When I checked in, the guy said he upgraded me to an ocean front room since my room wasn’t ready at 2:45 when I asked.  I was supposed to be in an ocean view room and I’m sure that would have been fine.  The room had a beautiful view of the water and was right by the luau spot.  I had a king size bed and a table with two small chairs.  There was a large bare area and I think some sort of chair or chaise lounge would have been nice.  There was no overhead room light, which would have been nice at night and no lights out on the lanai.  I did not sit out there in the middle of the night so I’m not sure how dark it really got.  There are plenty of chairs scattered around the property, from beach chairs along the water to comfy wicker chairs near the bar area.  The landscaping is beautiful and there are lots of little green geckos running around.  I will say the bathroom could be updated.  The tub had barely any edge to it, which isn’t great for those of us who have lots of toiletries.  A soap dish would have been nice.  The carpets throughout the room and hallways looked worn and a paint job wouldn’t go to waste.  But everyone was very friendly and the whole place was very clean.  I would recommend this as it is so conveniently located to all the action. 
  
The Kailua-Kona area is great for different activities.  There is snorkeling, diving, paddle boarding, para sailing, dolphins, turtles, manta rays, whales, shopping, dining, tropical drinks and anything else you would want from a beach vacation.  There are also state and national historic sites within a short distance both north and south of town.   Everything is easily accessible and easy to find.  The island is small enough that you could probably go all the way around in a day.  But you won’t because you will be stopping to explore all the sites.  I don’t like to spend a whole vacation sitting on the beach or shopping or drinking and I was able to find enough stuff to fill my days and have time to lounge when I wanted to.  This side of the island is warm and humid and has little rain.  My last day it was cloudy and dripping but no one seemed to mind!  If you get tired of the heat, drive an hour north to Waimea where the cooler winds blow.  Or, soak it up while you can because you are most likely heading back to somewhere that is not as nice as where you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment