Sunday, December 12, 2010

Spring Break 2003...

So I decided that I should do spring break once as a college student and picked Hawaii as the place to go.  Problem, Hawaii is expensive and most college students are broke.  So my traveling companion was my mom since she had money and no one else that I knew did.  It turned out to be a great trip.  Hawaii is everything you dream it is.  Vibrant colors, perfect weather and pricey food.  My mom and I spent six  nights in Honolulu, Oahu.  Yes, this is the main tourist stop, but for your first trip to the Hawaiian Islands, it's a great starting point.  The best part about the 8 hour flight was landing at the Honolulu Intl Airport, seeing the bright green plants, the many palm trees and smelling the Hawaiian air.  It was cold and snowy in Chicago so this was a great way to start Spring Break!  The first night we ate at Cheeseburger in Paradise and I had a Mai Tai.  I discovered that I do not like Mai Tais and have never had one since.  So much for tropical drinks!  Our hotel was a few blocks in from the beach, but we still had a pretty decent view out the window. 


Day 1 was spent visiting Pearl Harbor.  The memorial itself was closed due to maintenance, but the museum was open and we enjoyed that.  I then made my mom come with me to Aloha Stadium so I could get a picture for my NFL stadium book.  They have a great flea market there on the weekend so we got to check out some Hawaiian stuff. 


The next day we took the bus around the whole island.  We went to the Dole Pineapple Plantation.  This is an awesome place if you like pineapples.  We made it through the giant maze and had some Dole Whip, which is one of the best dessert things ever.  Then we went to Waimea Bay, which is up on the North Shore and watched the giant waves.  Saw some whales way off in the distance.  My first whale sighting ever.  Too bad they were so far away.   Continued on the bus back to Honolulu.  The scenery is so beautiful everywhere you go!

Day 3 was spent checking out the Punchbowl, which is the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.  I recommend stopping here if you are in Honolulu.  The cemetery is nice and the views are amazing.  The rest of the day was spent at Waikiki Beach because that's what you do when you are on Oahu!


Day 4 we spent at the Polynesian Cultural Center.  This is like a living history type place with recreations of villages of the various Pacific Island groups that ended up in Hawaii.  I did not enjoy it, but I did enjoy the luau and show after.  The food was delicious and all the fire and dancing was very impressive.

Our last full day was spent snorkeling at Hanauma Bay.  First you watch a short video about what you might see and what you can and cannot do while snorkeling.  Then you head down to the beach and get your snorkeling gear.  The fish in the bay come in all different colors and sizes and shapes.  We stuck to the shallow water so we did not see anything exciting like turtles or octopus or anything, but the fish were fun to watch.  I wasn't sure if I would enjoy snorkeling, but it was so relaxing and very enjoyable.  And yes, the water really is that blue!

The last day we took the bus to Diamond Head to see how far we could get before we had to turn around and head to the airport.  We did not make it all the way up, but I bet the views at the top would be spectacular.

The thing about Hawaii is, it's pretty much exactly what you think of when you hear Hawaii.  Every day was about 80 and sunny.  People walk around barefoot and go into stores and restaurants in bathing suits and surfing gear.  You have to watch out so as not to hit your head on a surfboard, not an umbrella, when walking down the sidewalk.  Everything is expensive, but you're in Hawaii so who really cares!  I think I had a pretty good spring break, considering it was the only college one I had and it was with my mom.  We had a great time!

1 comment:

  1. People really do wear Hawaiian shirts in Hawaii....not just tourists.

    ReplyDelete